
This morning I did an odd thing. I made a cup of coffee, sat on the couch & turned on the news while the kids played in their rooms. I haven't watched the news in nearly a year, because my husband is deployed, because of the tragic events that happened seven years ago. As I watched the news clips showing the attacks and some of the aftermath the thoughts & feelings I had that day came rushing back fresh. I lived in California, so far from it all, but it hit so close to home. I was 19, I was scared, I was sad for all of the lives lost & the family members they left behind. I didn't know what the future held for our country. Never in my lifetime was our soil attacked so viciously and in such a large scale.
I felt that we needed to take action against those who attacked us. The points that were attacked - World Trade Center & Pentagon (possibly an aim for the White House) were not random. They were attacking what they hated in our country - capitalism, military & a government founded on democracy. We lost more than innocent lives that day, we lost a sense of security and care free living. But also on that day we heard of heroic acts such as that on flight 93, they took back control of the plane & thwarted the plan of the enemy, all of the firefighters, police & service members who put their lives at risk to save others.
About one month after 9/11 I met Shawn. He wasn't in the Army yet but had talked about wanting to join, he had wanted to for a few years. Five years after the attacks he did join. And now he is overseas, defending the freedoms we value in our country. He is helping a people who had freedom withheld from them by a ruthless dictator. Giving freedom to others, I believe, is part of our responsibility as a world power that was founded on freedoms.
Today as you think of those who were lost in the tragedy of 9/11 also remember those who have fought, gave all, and continue to fight defending our country & keeping the fight off of our soil.
P.S. On my playlist there's a song called "How to Save a Life" by The Fray - it's a remix dedicated to 9/11. You may need a tissue.
I felt that we needed to take action against those who attacked us. The points that were attacked - World Trade Center & Pentagon (possibly an aim for the White House) were not random. They were attacking what they hated in our country - capitalism, military & a government founded on democracy. We lost more than innocent lives that day, we lost a sense of security and care free living. But also on that day we heard of heroic acts such as that on flight 93, they took back control of the plane & thwarted the plan of the enemy, all of the firefighters, police & service members who put their lives at risk to save others.
About one month after 9/11 I met Shawn. He wasn't in the Army yet but had talked about wanting to join, he had wanted to for a few years. Five years after the attacks he did join. And now he is overseas, defending the freedoms we value in our country. He is helping a people who had freedom withheld from them by a ruthless dictator. Giving freedom to others, I believe, is part of our responsibility as a world power that was founded on freedoms.
Today as you think of those who were lost in the tragedy of 9/11 also remember those who have fought, gave all, and continue to fight defending our country & keeping the fight off of our soil.
P.S. On my playlist there's a song called "How to Save a Life" by The Fray - it's a remix dedicated to 9/11. You may need a tissue.



3 comments:
We were on our honeymoon when we saw the news on TV -- it was horrific, and we will certainly never forget, even though we are not from the US.
I was at home with my hubby getting ready for work. He was brushing his teeth walking around the house in his birthday suit...odd memory huh? I just remember him saying, "no way...oh my gosh" And I looked out our bathroom, into the living room to see his naked butt and the TV. I soon forgot that he was in his natural state, and couldn't believe what else I was seeing.
I think most Americans have forgot what happened 7 years ago. We're fighting a war for a reason...whether some think we've been there too long or not....we're always going to be in a silent war against terrorism. Why can't liberals understand that?
So fast 7 years have passed, I'm now 19years old
Post a Comment