If you hadn't heard Kentucky was hit with an ice storm last week. Shawn had a dentist appointment the first morning of the freeze and appropriately a local radio station played the song "Ice Ice Baby" which I couldn't resist blasting & my kids had to dance to. I should have recorded them, it was hilarious! In case you were under a rock in 1990 "Ice Ice Baby" is a song by Vanilla Ice & my opening paragraph are some of the lyrics from the song. I was surprised at how much of the song I still remembered and kinda proud of myself. Not because the song was so special but because I remember a song that's nearly 20 years old and I was only 8 when it first hit the radio. :D So, I'm not so old as I feel some days.
So it was cold and we drove as little as possible because accidents do happen, but I couldn't stop taking pictures. It was SO beautiful, the bare trees looked like glass statues - or ice sculptures, that would be more fitting! But look, just gorgeous! The third one down on the left is a tuft of crabgrass in our front yard but the icy version looks like a plant or creature you'd find under the sea. Oh & yes, that's our Christmas tree in the back yard - standing in a frozen tree stand. {Ask the hubs about that one} The top right photo is the tree across from our house, weighed down by the ice. There were several trees with limbs & branches lost due to the ice, one car was smashed that I know of - no one hurt. We did lose power a couple of times but not for long periods of time.
The next day we woke up to snow. When Michael shouted "get up mom, it's snowing!!" I thought he was going to be later disappointed by the powdered sugar looking snow flurry. But it was real snow! We got an inch or two, not much but enough to play some in. So, after we ate breakfast and I drank a cup of coffee to become half human I got us all bundled up and let them make footprints, angels, snowballs and well - get cold. Once they realized that mom wasn't crazy for wanting to go inside the warm house we went in & I made them hot chocolate at Michael's request. School was closed that day & Shawn didn't have to go into work so we had a lazy{ish} day at home.
P.S. Are you still singing the song? I am! LOL
Pretty pictures & fun snow play aside I do have to say that we were very fortunate because not far from our house there are people still out of power, businesses still not operating and a lot of mess to clean up. I didn't realize how bad the damage from the ice storm was until the following day when it was all over the news. I'm thankful that we were able to stay warm in below freezing temperatures and am praying for quick relief for those affected by the storm. If you'd like to learn how you can help those who have lost, please contact your local Salvation Army or Red Cross.
Pretty pictures & fun snow play aside I do have to say that we were very fortunate because not far from our house there are people still out of power, businesses still not operating and a lot of mess to clean up. I didn't realize how bad the damage from the ice storm was until the following day when it was all over the news. I'm thankful that we were able to stay warm in below freezing temperatures and am praying for quick relief for those affected by the storm. If you'd like to learn how you can help those who have lost, please contact your local Salvation Army or Red Cross.



3 comments:
Okay, I'm sorry. Most of your post is just a blur. I'm completely stuck on the fact that you were only EIGHT in 1990. I was GRADUATING FROM HIGH SCHOOL!!!!! Boy, do I ever feel old now!
LOL OMG that's TOO FUNNY! Ice Ice Baby lol - Love your pictures, that tuft of grass is soo funny. Looks like you had a great time in the snow & with your hot chocolates! Did I give you all my snow stuff? Cause if not, I SHOULD! You'll need it WAY more than me! Glad you guys didn't get the brunt of the storm!
Wow, your kids are really cute being cold and drinking their hot choco! I like the pics of the trees too!
I am also glad my brother in FINALLY out of the hospital soon, but he is going home to a home that is still just as far as the hospital 1 hour 15 minutes drive, I miss him sooooo much!
We are totally broke and have had colds off and on and off again so I haven't seen him in TOO long!
Post a Comment