Or maybe just our campsite. Michael turned 5 last Sunday and after his party we left for our camping trip. It was a fun time & I'll share more about that another day when I've moved past the stench.
But first let me apologize for this post. I'm sure it will stink in every way. When I was up at 3am Friday morning sitting by the fire pit, which had turned more into a smoke pit, I had a some catchy one liners and a funny little post written up. Or I wasn't funny but so tired that I thought I was. Either way I couldn't get to my notebook to write any of it down so I'll never really know.
Back to the stink. So we were camping and Thursday was our last night. I ended up in the kids' mattress because they woke up wanting snuggles. Jackie was in there too, unleashed. Shawn went answer nature's call and didn't zip the tent right away. Jackie bolted. She had woke me up a few times growling at some critter or another, and now she would meet her match.
I heard Jackie bark, Shawn yell for her to come back and the next thing I knew Jackie was back in the tent with a strange odor and spitting something up. Was it a bad odor? I couldn't tell, it was just odd but almost familiar. I sent her outside so Shawn could see what she was spitting up & then he broke the news - Jackie was sprayed by a skunk.
Yuck!
Did you know that a skunk's spray is an oil & used in some perfumes because of it's lingering quality? Also, when your dog is sprayed in the face at the campsite next door and is in your tent for less than a minute every.single.thing. will smell like skunk. Every.thing. All of the laundry, bedding, mattresses, tent, truck (thanks to the husband leaving the windows down all of the time), folding canvas chairs and diapers. Yes, diapers. We lost nearly a full pack of 60.
So all of this happened at 3am which meant I was up since 3am Friday morning. Luckily the kids stayed asleep and somehow Shawn slept in the tent but I just couldn't. My stomach turned just walking near the tent. So while waiting for the sun to rise I thought about my blog post and how funny it could be - this is rather disappointing. We packed up camp as quickly as possible and I started on laundry and baths as soon as we got home, there is still some cleaning to do and poor Jackie needs another vinegar/baking soda treatment before I'll snuggle her on my couch or anywhere. Tomato juice didn't do anything for her but give us another mess to clean up. I never want to smell that smell again and no diaper will ever compare to that stench.
I still have pictures to upload & will share more soon. Now it's 9am and I haven't had my coffee which really is just wrong.
But first let me apologize for this post. I'm sure it will stink in every way. When I was up at 3am Friday morning sitting by the fire pit, which had turned more into a smoke pit, I had a some catchy one liners and a funny little post written up. Or I wasn't funny but so tired that I thought I was. Either way I couldn't get to my notebook to write any of it down so I'll never really know.
Back to the stink. So we were camping and Thursday was our last night. I ended up in the kids' mattress because they woke up wanting snuggles. Jackie was in there too, unleashed. Shawn went answer nature's call and didn't zip the tent right away. Jackie bolted. She had woke me up a few times growling at some critter or another, and now she would meet her match.
I heard Jackie bark, Shawn yell for her to come back and the next thing I knew Jackie was back in the tent with a strange odor and spitting something up. Was it a bad odor? I couldn't tell, it was just odd but almost familiar. I sent her outside so Shawn could see what she was spitting up & then he broke the news - Jackie was sprayed by a skunk.
Yuck!
Did you know that a skunk's spray is an oil & used in some perfumes because of it's lingering quality? Also, when your dog is sprayed in the face at the campsite next door and is in your tent for less than a minute every.single.thing. will smell like skunk. Every.thing. All of the laundry, bedding, mattresses, tent, truck (thanks to the husband leaving the windows down all of the time), folding canvas chairs and diapers. Yes, diapers. We lost nearly a full pack of 60.
So all of this happened at 3am which meant I was up since 3am Friday morning. Luckily the kids stayed asleep and somehow Shawn slept in the tent but I just couldn't. My stomach turned just walking near the tent. So while waiting for the sun to rise I thought about my blog post and how funny it could be - this is rather disappointing. We packed up camp as quickly as possible and I started on laundry and baths as soon as we got home, there is still some cleaning to do and poor Jackie needs another vinegar/baking soda treatment before I'll snuggle her on my couch or anywhere. Tomato juice didn't do anything for her but give us another mess to clean up. I never want to smell that smell again and no diaper will ever compare to that stench.
I still have pictures to upload & will share more soon. Now it's 9am and I haven't had my coffee which really is just wrong.



2 comments:
well. that just ... stinks doesn't it??? this is why i go *camping in hotels. lol. didja try the pet odor eliminating mr clean with febreeze??? it rocks.
I had a similar (yet not as smelly thankfully) scare just a few weeks ago that I blogged about... http://theworldofjenna.blogspot.com/2009/06/exciting-evening-or-no-thats-not-kitty.html
Something about dogs and skunks!
Post a Comment