Thursday, March 11, 2010

Bulk/Freezer/Marathon Cooking {again}

So this is nothing new to me or the internets but it's something I want to try out again and hope to stick to this time. I came across this blog with all sorts of tips for moms - mostly about saving money. There is a lot of information and tips about once a month cooking {oamc} you can check out. I printed out some recipes I think my family will enjoy, made up the shopping list and will hit the store Friday. Saturday I plan to do as much cooking as possible. Most of the meals I'm doing are freeze ahead preparation, the day we eat a certain meal I'll thaw it out that morning, reheat and serve with rice, pasta, veggies, etc.

The anticipated arrival of a new little one who will be requiring much attention has prompted me to give this another go. Several of the recipes would feed our family twice so I'll store them separately and I doubled a couple of meals so preparing 10 meals actually gives us 16 meals. If I had a deep freezer I'd plan more out at once but I don't and I must leave space in the freezer for my ice-cream. :)

My hope is that by the time baby arrives I'll not only have a freezer full of meals - making life a little easier on both my husband {who is more than capable in the kitchen} and I during a busy time of transition and sleep deprivation as well as enjoying the benefits of oamc -tamc in my case-  well after baby's arrival.

This weekend I'm also excited to start making room for baby. Michael will get a new shelf with cubbies and we'll swap the kids' rooms. Over the next few months I'll be more than busy with diy projects to decorate both rooms.

2 comments:

Christine - Tutorial Addict :) said...

I can't wait to see how the recipes come out, you should definitely post the results and the recipes! So exciting getting ready for the baby! I'm sure this will help a LOT and take a lot of pressure off of all of you. Good luck!!

Heather said...

ooh ya I can't wait to see what you make too. I don't have room in my freezer to do this,but it always sounded very cool.
can't wait to see what you do in the kids room also.make sure you post before and after photos.

My Cleaning Music


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones