Friday, June 8, 2007

A Date with My Dad

I was glad to come across this contest at Pinks & Blues. It gives me an excuse to brag about my dad & try to win him a fun gift, courtesy of Once Upon a Family. You should go check it out & enter yourself. For your dad or your baby's daddy! ;)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now that the 'business' is taken care of onto the important stuff. I ♥ my dad. He is the best dad in the world - I know every child says that about their dad but mine really is. He was always there for me when I needed him. He is loving, supportive & encouraging. We have had our rough patches as every other parent/child relationship but we always bounce back & usually closer than before. My dad was my dad, he wasn't my friend - I had friends, that wasn't his job. He taught me how to play baseball {softball}, got me thinking about the science behind things & showed me the love of God. He is my hero.

I have many fond memories with my dad growing up; playing catch, building a super special secret city, and summertime camping trips. And he taught me how to weld. One of my favorite memories are the father daughter sock hops we went to when I was in girl scouts. We got dressed up in 50's attire head to toe. I wore a pink poodle skirt, a white top & cardigan sweater, ruffly white socks with those black & white shoes - I can't remember what they are called. And my hair was pulled up into a pony tail with a scarf tied around it. Dad donned the greaser look with jeans, white t {with a pack of cigs in his sleeve partially rolled} & sneakers. Oh and his black leather jacket. I had so much fun dancing with dad, especially during the slow dances when he'd let me stand on his feet. My best friend Whisper & her dad always went also. After the dance we would go to Lyon's restaurant for a tall chocolate milkshake & appetizers. It was so much fun. At the time it felt like we were out all night though I'm sure we were home by 10. But for a 7 or 8 year old - that's exciting stuff!

Over the years dad & I went to two father daughter dances while I was in high school. {Some people saw the photos afterward & asked if he was my boyfriend - good for you dad!} The last dance that we went to was in June of 2004. I was 8 months & very pregnant. This time it was a double date, sorta - dad had two dates. Myself & my sister.

Dad & I have a special relationship - as he does with the rest of my siblings, all 8 of them. I won't be home to post on Father's day & I'll actually be with my dad this year so I wanted to get this up beforehand. Happy Father's Day dad! I love you.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just beautiful! Your dad sounds so wonderful. I LOVE that photo of you two at the sock hop! What a special man. So glad you'll be with him for Father's Day!

And thanks for entering! I loved reading this!

Jane, Pinks & Blues Girls

Motherwise said...

Great memories to share with us - thanks. And, in the photo you posted, your dad is a babe!

Melanie Faith said...

That is such a cute picture of you and Michael. Good post. I'm sure he'll be touched. :)

Christine - Tutorial Addict :) said...

OMG! I TOTALLY REMEMBER THE SUPER SPECIAL SECRET CITY! LOL, awwww I think your dad is the best too! That pic of you guys brings back A LOT of memories! He was such a fun dad to be around as a kid and I have seen what a support and comfort he has been to you and the difference that can make in a girls life. You should totally win this contest!

hrpeters said...

God blessed you with a wonderful father. Cherish every moment you can with him.

Ice Cream said...

That pic brought back so many memories of my "dates with daddy". It is a lovely, well written post. You should give a copy to your dad for Father's day.

Anonymous said...

Cute! ..Saddle shoes... I actually had pairs for real..that's weren't a costume. Oh, I feel old ;-P Have a good trip..we'll miss you!

My Cleaning Music


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones