Monday, June 4, 2007

I'm Allergic to Cleaning

Seriously, well at least my cleaning products. Every time I spray the counters, polish the table or mix the floor cleaner I get stuffy, start sneezing & my eyes become irritated. I have two options here. The first being to just stop cleaning all together, no more scrubbing period. And the second, I could find a healthier way to clean my house. Since the first option would also aggravate my allergies I suppose the second is the way to go. {Although going on a cleaning strike is tempting.} I've seen advertisements for 'green' cleaning products, stuff that's good for the environment & probably my sinuses, but what I've come across costs more than I'm willing to spend on cleaning products. If anyone has any useful tips I'd appreciate it. In other cleaning news. Remember when I started cleaning my counters with Spray 'N Wash? Well, I had another moment. You can choose the type of moment yourself: blond moment, mom of two under 3 moment, nursing mom moment, still trying to recover my brain cells moment, duh moment - take your pick! So after dinner I got started on the clean up. We had some leftovers & when I reached into the cabinet for a storage container I got more than I bargained for. The container already had food in it. I couldn't remember what day it was from but it couldn't have been too old since there was no odor or stuff growing on it. It wasn't at all cold so I don't think Michael switched it from the fridge to the cabinet - though I wish I could find a way to blame it on the two-year-old-that-doesn't-know-any-better rather than take responsibility myself. If any of you are having a hard day or week or month or however long don't feel bad - you're not alone. Right now I'm just hoping I'll recover my brain cells & feel like a real person by the time my kids move out of the house. Does that happen? Ah, anyway so that about sums up my mood for the day. I'm so lonely without Shawn here & am really missing him. Just knowing that I'll be able to talk to an adult toward the end of the day and get a little relief help with the kids helps me get through the day. Oh & I remembered something else. I'm starting this new idea that I got from a blog I read called Psychology of Clutter - Life Maintenance Monday. This is a new format Dr. Ragan just started this week and so far I'm liking it. She talked about breaking large jobs into smaller tasks, tackling one task a day throughout the week until the whole job is done. Check out her blog for more details about it. This week she used cleaning out the refrigerator as an example so that's what I started. I'm looking forward to see what other insights she has to offer throughout the week. I hope you all had a great Monday & good things to come for this week. Thanks for stopping by!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I vote for no cleaning..see how that works for a while LOL.

Thank you so much for adding me to your favorite reads..I have added you to my blog roll also as I think your blog is fantastic!

Christine - Tutorial Addict :) said...

You know, a lot of cleaning can be done with just vinegar solutions, you might try something like that, DH cleans like the entire house just about with a bottle of that stuff! Sorry about missing Shawn, at least you'll be out here in what, like a weekish! And that break it down clean style idea is great! w00t!

Anonymous said...

I second Christine's vinegar cleaning....and I use a 'hole lot of dilute bleach and water. It's better than any 'antibacterial' stuff you can buy and probably a whole lot less allergenic.

Don't worry about the brain cells, after a while, you'll never miss them ;-)

Sherry said...

Well, I have a problem with cleaning, too - I can't ever seem to get enough of it done!!! Just when I think I'm finished, I remember, oh yeah, I have the entire upstairs to tackle next! Maybe that breaking down into little tasks every day stuff just might work out for me, too...

I can't imagine what it must be like for you without Shawn there. But hey, I'm sure you will have plenty of adult conversation on your return trip home to enjoy! ;) Wish I could be there with you all...

My Cleaning Music


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones