Thursday, October 4, 2007

Handy Mommy

Quick Tutorial on Re-Wiring A Dryer

Step One: Finagle with your camera so you can take a picture of the work you will be doing.

Step Two: Remove protective metal cover from the back of dryer. Don't be fooled, it looks like three screws or bolts may hold this on but it's likely one - I found that out by chance!

Step Three: Remove screws that hold wires onto the dryer, don't lose the screws. Save the old dryer plug - your next house could have a three pronged outlet!

Step Four: Put new cord through the hole in the back of the dryer (same place you pulled the old cord out of) and replace screws. Note that it is very important that you put the hot (red) & ground (black) wires on the outer prongs, neutral (white, yellow and/or green) goes in the middle. If you have an extra wire as I did put both neutral wires in the middle otherwise you could get sparked!

Step Five: Reattach the metal cover to the back of the dryer. Refer to the first picture you took so you can figure out how it goes back. Tip - the left side fits into a slot (even though there's a hole on the cover & looks like a screw should be there), the screw goes on the right.

Fortunately I called Lowes for reference before electrocuting myself. I don't know much about wiring but hung out in the garage with my dad enough to know that red wires are hot, even though the guy at Lowes who helped me find the cord & told me how to do it told me that white was hot. I'm just glad the guy I called the next morning knew what he was talking about. (I only called to find out the order the wires should go) So my dryer works and there were no sparks or smoke!

I also put up a laundry organizer thing I found cheap at Wal-Mart. Though I don't iron often {read: never} I prefer my iron hanging up than leaning against the wall tripping over it. It also saves some space on my shelf. And see, I really did use my hubby's tools and everything. He was proud when I told him about my accomplishments. Thanks for visiting!

♥









2 comments:

tammi said...

Look at you go! Good for you!! I'm always so proud of myself when I accomplish things like that and for several days afterwards I truly feel invincible!!!

Christine - Tutorial Addict :) said...

LOL - OH girl, I laughed so hard when I saw your 'action shots' of the screw driver! Good for you though, it feels GREAT to tell the hubs that you did something tool related and not end the conversation with "so it'll be waiting for you to fix it when you get home" :-/

My Cleaning Music


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones