
Thursday night I took some time to check my e-mails & message boards thinking the kids were happily playing together. Well, as you can see they were happy & playing but it wasn't quite what I had in mind. Now I'm sure Michael did most of the playing {read: damage} but Lydia was holding a ball of yarn as well. I got off the computer to put Lydia in bed and this is what I found. Once I got her settled I came to assess the mess and found more than I had expected. Yarn was strung & twisted around the dining table, into the kitchen & back around the table again. Why do I have two

spools of yarn you wonder? I've never shown off any fancy crochet or knitting work or other things that yarn may be used for. See, it really doesn't belong in this house. I did attempt crocheting a couple years ago. My friend, Patricia, from church makes beautiful ponchos and a few of us thought it would be a good thing if she taught us how to make them ourselves. One gal already knew the art & joined us while she would work on her blankets. Now this would have been a very good thing - if I had had any skill with yarn & needles. The furthest I got {without messing up horribly}

was making a simple chain - that I could do. When it came to the next step I was all thumbs. I'd be focused on my work, show her what I had done & even she couldn't figure it out. It was way too much work & very little to show for it. So I gave up, stashed my yarn & needles away with the thought of future attempts. Like I said that was two years ago. I haven't picked it up since. The only reason it was within my children's reach was I had tried selling it at the yard sale. They {and I mean Michael} must have gone digging through a box and found the new 'toy'. So I picked up

what was left of the ball of yarn & did about 20 laps around through the kitchen, sometimes only going halfway, untangling & turning around to wind it up some more. Fortunately there weren't too many tangles but I can tell he definitely had fun. And I am certain his sissy wasn't too far behind leaving a trail of yarn herself. I can't remember even half of the messes I caused for my parents but from what I can remember I'm sure I'm in for it. Between poopy prints through the house, attempting my own haircut, gum in the hair, insisting that if the round brush can be

rolled into the hair surely it can be unrolled {it can't - don't try it!}, drawing on things I shouldn't and who knows what else - I've got it coming. So far my kids have painted with poop & Michael has drawn with markers where markers don't belong. If only messes of yarn was the worst of it. Sorry for the blurry photos - my digital is on the fritz. Thanks for stopping by - I'll be posting a Masterpiece Monday tomorrow {redundant, I know} and for Talk About Tuesday I have a junk drawer follow up - I'm sure you're on pins & needles in anticipation. ;) Hope you had a great

weekend! Oh and those boxes you see in the first photo was leftover from the yard sale, you'll be happy to know they aren't there any longer, the mirror has also been moved to my bedroom & well, the table still has frames on it but I'm working on it.
♥

9 comments:
My son used to do this with thread, and lots of it. I'm the same way you are about knitting and crocheting (did I even spell that right?) I tried and figured it would be more economical, time wise, to get a job to earn enough money to buy other peoples' homemade knits.
i love the 'what don't you like it?' picture as he points at his handy work. oh if it was only the worst of it! i'm in for it to but more so on the teen years end which we have just entered. i love that you took pictures! good luck with the rest of the messes coming your way ;O)
I think it's all quite clever.....maybe they should be spiders for Halloween...
OMG - I remember when my kids did the same thing. My daughter called doing this making a "trap" and she was going to catch "bad guys" with it. Too funny! Guess they caught you - by surprise.
ice cream - I'm glad I'm not the only one who can't do much with yarn. And I agree those who can't crochet - shop!
jenn - I forgot to mention how proud he was of all the hard work he did. Thanks for visiting & good luck with the teen years! (I'm still in denial)
leendaluu - they'd have that act down wouldn't they?
motherwise - A trap? That's cute. I won't give my son any ideas though. ;)
LOL - OMG - ROFL
You're kids are something else girl ;-) With that first picture I could just imagine you turning around and going 'WTF?' and I also pictured Lydia crawling/wobling around trying to keep up with Michael, too funny! So what is the title of this scrap page gonna be?? Cause I KNOW you've been thinking about it ;-)
P.S. I like the Christmas tree JOE has going on there ;-)
Yeah, my youngest "playing quietly" is a sure sign she's doing something I'm not going to like! Never expereienced the poop paintings though, thank goodness!!
My ds is ADHD, so I TOTALLY know what you mean about creative messes! Just be thankful the yarn only needed picked up, no scrubbing necessary! :)
Post a Comment