I've been at my parents house for over a week now and every morning my kids are up before the sun. We're talking between 5 & 5:30am folks. If you know me personally you know I am SO not the morning person - something my mom & I had in common. Even when the sun is up I would rather be sleeping. Of course I haven't had this kind of sleep for sometime now. Michael used to sleep in until 7/8 when he was Lydia's age and I really don't understand why she won't. So each day I've been more and more tired but still staying up late waiting to see if my hubby will be on the computer. This isn't good for a person's nerves, mood or immune system. Last night I was really seeing the affects not sleeping was having on me when I pooped out early scrapbooking. This is not me folks, I'm a night owl & have been known to stay up until the wee hours to scrap.
So around 5:20am when my daughter was screaming & my son {who had snuck into my bed} was covering his ears saying "mommy sissy's frying" - meaning crying {like I didn't know} I decided that was the end of early morning wake ups or stay ups at least. I got her out of the crib, changed her diaper, put her back in the crib, went downstairs to get her milk & after giving her the milk grabbed a blanket & Michael and said "good night" shutting the door behind me. I then told Michael to go back to the bed he was supposed to be sleeping in and lay down or read a book until the sun came up or I told him he could get up. I took my blanket downstairs, turned on the fireplace {literally, with a switch on the wall} and layed down on the couch.
I was feeling pretty good about my decision and hoping to fall back asleep quickly - I have always had issues with getting back to sleep after waking up. On my way to the couch from the fireplace I tripped over one of those floor toys that light up & make sounds, couldn't find the off switch - only volume control and stuck it over in a corner. I waited 5 minutes before the music stopped. The toy was mocking me in it's circus like tune "you thought you were going to sleep, but you're not, ha ha ha" and each time the songs {read: torture} would stop it really was just a pause and some other tune would start. Eventually I did fall asleep but it was broken sleep and after waking up I realized I should have tossed it in the closet. My dad said he would have thrown it outside. Oh and I did find an off switch, on the front of the toy - I had only looked on the back.
So it's up to you. What should have an off switch? Our children or their toys? I think at least kids should have a sleep timer and none should wake before 7am {and even that's early} unless of course you are up early and want chores started when the rooster crows. By the way, as the toy was taunting me and keeping me awake I was thinking about a title for this post.



3 comments:
Hehe, YES THEY SHOULD. And if they can't have an off switch, VOLUME CONTROL would be SUPER! My first two were GREAT sleepers but this last one is the stubborn type. Every day is between 5 & 6. I hope the laying her back down thing works! Didn't for me, but I'm >< my fingers for you and your fried nerves honey! :-D
you made an excellent decision...that is too early for anybody to be up!!
malia is thankfully a good sleeper, and even when she does wake up early she'll be happy (and quiet) in her crib for quite awhile.
joelle is usually up earlier, but we have a strict rule that she needs to stay IN HER ROOM until her clock turns to an 8. so far it works pretty good.
Oh wow, yeah, that's WAY too early for kids to be awake! I'm totally a morning person and I get up between 5:30 and 6:30 every day, but it's specifically because I enjoy having quiet alone time before the rest of the family gets up -- for important things like blogging and to plan how I'm going to hang onto my sanity once the girls are up!
My girls have both always been good sleepers, but I tell ya, the youngest one could sure use a volume control knob and/or a pause feature!!!!!
Post a Comment