Thursday, February 14, 2008

Missing My Valentine


I decided a month ago that Valentine's Day would be just like any other day. Really, it is, at least for my husband & I. There's no significance to this day. We didn't meet, begin dating, get engaged or married on Valentine's so it's really just a 'hallmark holiday' for us. So, I wasn't going to let it get to me. If he were home I would have received a card and probably be eating a nicer dinner than what the kids & I had. Nothing more, and I'm okay with that. I appreciate 'our' days more than this one.

Now that today is here & almost gone I realize I'm more sad about it than I thought I would be. Not because we aren't going out to some fancy restaurant or I'm not opening fancy jewelry. But because he's not here. Because we're not having 'just another day' together. Playing with the kids when he got home from work, making & eating dinner, and then cuddling on the couch when the kids are in bed. Of course arguing about what to watch on TV - tonight there would be no debate, LOST and then whatever he wanted, probably UFC or an action flick. I miss plain old boring normal days with him, though they're never really boring. I miss him & I miss us; Valentine's Day or any other regular day.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am sorry... I know those days on your little side counter can't tick by quick enough! But if it's any consolation (which I know it isn't) I don't feel like I've been reading your blog all that long and when I started it was well over 200! A week from tomorrow and it will be under one hundred. Every time I come to your site, I check that ticker and pray a little for you.

Christine - Tutorial Addict :) said...

Oh honey I'm sorry! I can't imagine how hard it must be everyday to miss him. I'm so glad he'll be coming home soon and hopefully for your anniversary so you guys can celebrate together!

Kimberly McKay said...

:( I'm so sorry Rebecca. I thought about you when I read the comment you left on my page. I wondered how you made it through the day yesterday. I hope you two get really bored together sooner than you think.

tammi said...

I hear ya, Rebecca! Valentine's Day is actually our anniversary (I'm so embarrassed at the cheesy-ness, but there's just nothing I can do about it now!!), but even for us, it's never been more than me giving him a card (which still happened, only this year I mailed it up to Yellowknife and just prayed it would actually get there -- mostly because it's got his renewed drivers license in the envelope as well!!), him giving me flowers, and me arranging for a babysitter so we can go out for dinner.

But so much more than that, I just miss having him at home. This year I was kind of distracted because I was living at my cousin's house and then she and I went out for supper to console each other while her kids looked after mine! It was a great time, but obviously, not the same.

You're in my prayers!!

Andrea said...

The people who keep Valentine's Day low-key...I think it's harder on them when they're apart from their loved ones on this day. Because to them, it's all about the love and just being together.

Those who do all the fancy schmany celebrations...if they were without their loved ones on Valentine's Day, they're probably more missing all the gifts, etc. At least that's my opinion. And it's likely not true in every case, but it makes sense to me.

mandy said...

:(

My Cleaning Music


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones