Sunday, March 2, 2008

SMART Habit Saturday on Sunday

I'm a day late but yesterday I was too busy to sit down to post, so it's Sunday but I've still been pretty SMART. The kitchen sink stays pretty clean along with the rest of the kitchen. Folding laundry right out of the drier, not so great but it isn't sitting quite as long as it used to. Yay! for progress! This is a new month so time for a new habit. I really didn't know what I was going to start with this month {another reason for not getting my post up yesterday} until today.

Last night I picked up a desk from a friend who no longer needed it. She was sweet & took it apart into 5 pieces so I could fit it into my trunk. After the kids were in bed I put it together & it looks great. Though I'm sure I was quite the sight during assembly! I had to sit under the desk balancing the desk top with my head to keep it in place while putting the back piece in and then getting both of those pieces into the side piece. One things were in place I tightened the screws and put the keyboard tray in. I love having a keyboard tray because I have space to write in my planner without pushing everything around. After looking at the before & after photos below you'll understand my excitement over this new {to me} piece of furniture. Now my computer tower is in the tall cabinet rather than on my desk space, the printer is up on top instead of down below {chair is blocking printer in photo} causing me to get on my hands & knees to adjust the paper oh & it's an actual desk instead of a sofa table with a missing drawer front & bottom slat.

This afternoon I moved a filing cabinet from our bedroom {formerly serving as a bedside table-more on why it's not later} next to the desk. Now I have more storage & you can't see all of the wires in the corner anymore. I still need to rig something to keep the wires behind the desk out of sight but it's SO much better than it was. Ignore the broken bottom drawer on the filing cabinet, I am until I can figure out how to fix it - it's not so easy as I thought it would be.


In the middle of moving the filing cabinet & the kids wrecking havoc in the living room with their toys I thought it would be a good time to organize the TV unit. : / So not really a good time but I wanted to keep all of the computer games, programs & photo CDs close to the computer and they were mixed in with DVDs and CDs in the TV unit. One thing led to another and I have a slightly more organized TV unit. The bin on the filing cabinet is where the computer CDs are because they wouldn't fit inside the top drawer & the bottom one is broken. I still want to declutter my magazines into binders, find a new home for my scrapbooks and projects but until I get shelving in the laundry room this is what I have. It's better than it was before so once again - yay! progress.


You may be thinking - well that's all good & fine but what does it have to do with your new SMART habit? Since I just know you are on the edge of your seat filled with suspense & you were so kind to read all the way through I'll tell you. My new habit for this month is to spend some time once a week tackling projects just like this. Not these exactly because that would get redundant but the projects that I put off or don't often make time to do. I am going to have a little notepad that I can write out things throughout the week that I want/need to get done and then do them one day. I am not going to set one specific day to do this because my schedule can change depending on the kids, getting together with friends or my Mary Kay activities.

I'm hoping that this will help me to get things more in order around here and also relieve anxiety about unfinished projects. To see other SMARTies or join in on the SMARTness yourself click the button at the top of this post. Thanks for visiting!

9 comments:

penguinsandladybugs said...

What a great habit to try!! Are you only doing once a month? That is probably a good idea so you don't get overwhelmed with a new habit each week. It is good to see you and your blog again, too! I do have a new header--won it and it was custom desigend, thanks for noticing!! Your site looks a bit different as well--new header for you??

Anonymous said...

Isn't it amazing how much better your house feels when you tackle the "little" stuff?? Great job!

Anonymous said...

Congrats on finishing your project.

I like the idea of putting all your to-do ideas in one notebook. I dug out a little notebook and some string so I could tie it to my desk. That way, it'll be here when I want to write in it and when I have time for a project.

Thanks for visiting my site.

Veggiemomof2 said...

That really looks great!

tammi said...

I find tackling the 'little stuff' is exactly what bogs me down and ends up becoming a HUGE job! I'm starting to try and take care of those sorts of things BEFORE they get to that stage; just generally picking up after myself and not letting things get so out of hand as they have a tendency to do at my house!!

The new-to-you desk is a great improvement!

Motherwise said...

Wow - you can sure make progress. And I was feeling good because I actually attacked my pile of papers today and put them all away. Good job!

Lara said...

It looks great! Some day I will have a real desk in my studio. Mine looks just like your before photo. Keep up the good work!

Lee said...

Wow!! Very cool.....you little SMARTie, you!!! Looks like you're on a roll!!

Shane said...

Boy you have been busy ... lol

I read what you said about you on your profile and agree your investment in your kids will be the best and more then worth it.

Expect Miracles...
Shane Belceto
www.PlanFunVacations.com

My Cleaning Music


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones