Monday, July 16, 2007

Same Argument Different House

As you know my mother in law has been visiting us from California. Hubby happened to have a four day weekend, which worked out great. Friday morning he got up with the kids so I could get a little extra sleep and while he was at it even did a little cleaning up. Dishes were done, floors swept & laundry was in the wash. {I was thinking his mom aught to visit more often if this was the result} Then I opened the washer.

Let me state a few disclaimers before I continue; I appreciated his thoughtfulness & efforts and I know that my way of doing things is not the only way or the right way - maybe the better way but that's beside the point.

My laundry rules:
  • Wash full loads whenever possible
  • Towels & sheets go in their own loads
  • Work clothes are not washed with 'civilian' clothing
  • My tops get washed on cold so they don't shrink
  • All kids clothing {and often mine} must be checked for stains & get Zout'ed
  • Whites wash on warm or hot
  • Dry clean only waits at the bottom of the pile {or usually my closet} until I finally take it in
  • I wash when I know I am likely to fold & put away clothing
  • Prefer to wash separate colors but not a stickler about it {so long as nothing will bleed}
My husband's laundry rules:
  • Everything can wash with everything
  • Wash on hot
So what did I find in the washer? A mish mash of clothing - varying colors, towels, work clothes and my DRY CLEAN ONLY sweater. :/ I was not so happy about that. Fortunately he didn't pay attention to the temperature setting & it was still on cold so there were no casualties but that was beside the point. He didn't get what the big deal was, nothing was ruined and I said - but things could have been ruined because he didn't pay attention to labels. Plus, I wasn't planning on doing laundry that day but also didn't want a pile of clothing sitting out on our couch. I had just cleaned the entire house so that's not so much to ask right? My mother in law came downstairs laughing and said "same argument, different house". So what's your take on laundry? Do you have disagreements over laundry methods at your house?

15 comments:

Christine - Tutorial Addict :) said...

LOL - that's great. Men are men aren't they? Mine does the SAME THING except he also does the tinywashtwopairsofboxersandashirt-whydidyouevenbother loads! Not recently, but STILL! The one I deal with now is the dishwasher . . . same crap, different appliance. There is the right way, and the hubby way. No matter how many times I tell him bowls go on the bottom, I find them halfwashed on the top. No matter how many times I tell him you MUST wash the sippy cup lids and stoppers SEPERATELY I find them glued together and nasty - ahhhhhh men . . . :-D

Melanie Faith said...

That's pretty funny. I have to admit that I'm more male-ish when it comes to laundry. I separate colors and everything--that's rudimentary. But our washer is older than I am and the warm/hot cycle causes water to leak from the pipe so we just use cold. Oh, and I have never brought anything to a dry cleaner in my whole life. Yikes. Well, with that said, Drew does the folding and I do the washing. It seems to work for us and so far we haven't had any major issues with the clothes. :)

Anonymous said...

My husband does most of the laundry and, for the most part does it well, but doesn't understand the Zout concept. I do, because I am the queen of coffee on the front of me, especially if the shirt is white (which is why I wear a lot of black, but I digress). He also doesn't understand that red tablecloths bleed F-O-R-E-V-E-R so we all have pink undies...including him!

Biddy said...

1. wait as long as humanly possible to do laundry.

2. wait a little longer.

3. towels have to be done in 2 loads (the gold ones & white ones in one load, the green ones & purple ones in the other load)

4. sheets get their own load

5. reds get their own small load, which usually means they don't get done

6. jeans get their own load simply because they fill up the washer.

7. delicates get their own load, and also rarely get done.

8. everything else is fair game as long as the water is cold.

9. clean laundry goes in the spare bedroom on the right side. dirty laundry stays on the left...

Rebecca said...

cr: I don't even bother with the dishwasher argument. I appreciate when he clears the sink, say thank you & rearrange as necessary. For some reason he puts the plates in sideways (a quarter turn), I'm sure they'd still clean but only half of them fit. Oh & I can't stand the sippy cup lids being washed all together, it just doesn't clean right.

mel: I wash most things in cold too, I'd prefer all in cold than all in hot since we'd be out shopping every week for new clothes that fit. As far as the dry cleaning goes, I think I've had the sweater for over a year & it's been sitting at the bottom of my closet for almost that long.

leendalu: Who can't ♥ the Zout concept? One minute you have a stain the next minute you don't! It's like magic or something.

Biddy: I share in your wait as long as possible to do laundry theory, with each person added into my life that as long as possible has changed to doing laundry twice a week or we'll all be nudists.

Anonymous said...

By the way, those were flowers in my salad--borage. There are lots of edible flowers for salad--the ones I use the most are borage, nasturium, marigolds and violets --that haven't been sprayed, of course. Pansies are edible as well.

Anonymous said...

My husband is a "little" better than yours when it comes to laundry, but I still have to fuss at him for the things he mixes together. Thankfully, he hasn't ruined any of my dry clean only items. Maybe you should make a list and post it by the washer?

Anonymous said...

"As you know my mother in law has been visiting us from California."

You have my sympathies. :-)

Biddy said...

what is this Zout stuff and where oh where can i find some?!

Rebecca said...

biddy: Zout is a fabric stain remover, similar to Shout & Spray n Wash but in my opinion, works better. You can probably find it at a local grocery store or department store like Wal-Mart. Happy Zouting!

Mommy's Getaway said...

I was about to ask about Zout. I may become a Zout-aholic if it is as good as you say!!!

Laundry - we don't argue about it bc I have learned this: I can either tell him how to do it (and then probably do it myself) OR I can tell him I want it done (and it gets done the wrong way...er, not my way). I can't do both because then we fight. So I clean and fold up the laundry myself, with his occasional folding skills require.

Now the dishwasher...I just leave the room and pray it all gets cleaned. LMAO!

Anonymous said...

LOL..what is it with us girls when we ask Hubby for help with the chores and then moan about the way he does things. I would have to be the worst offender at this!

Now I am not even sure that my hubby knows how to turn our washing machine on ..which is a good thing probably because I would probably have all black clothes if he threw them in with his work clothes.

Hanging out the washing is another thing I have a problem with..sometimes when I am not feeling to good I will allow him to help me with this ...LOL gosh Im kind aren't I?

My rules for hanging are that if it is worn on the top (of the body) it is hung by the bottom and if it is worn on the bottom then it is hung by the top.

Why can't males seem to understand that concept...oh and don't even start me on matching the colors of the clothes-pegs! LOL!

David Edward said...

i do mine, she does hers. we are divorced, but splitting a house for my daughters sake. I wash whatever, whenever, with mostly cold water.
it shows.... hehe

Bethany said...

I think men purposely do things like this so that we won't ask them to help us with chores again! lol It's a good plan, it works! haha

Stargazer said...

hey you, thanks for the awesome supportive comment, I really appreciate it a lot.

My Cleaning Music


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones