Thursday, August 2, 2007

All For the Low Price of $9.99 & We'll Throw In This Flashlight on a Keychain For FREE!!

Yesterday I wrote about how I forgot my nifty blog post idea. Last night as I was washing potatoes it hit me. Infomercials! {I'll explain how potatoes & infomercials relate shortly} So I was wondering a few days ago - is it just me? Am I the only one who gets sucked into an infomercial and wants to reach for the phone and give them my credit card & shipping information because howdidIeverliveiwthoutthat?? Now I'm not {only} talking about the 30 minute long infomercials that are described as 'paid programming', typically I skip those channels. But now they have mini infomercials that are about 5 min max and they do a great job selling their product {to me at least} because if I had an open balance on a credit card I'm sure I wouldn't anymore. Here are a few of my favorite {and one I really am going to buy someday because it looks so awesome}. Quick side note, my hubby usually rolls his eyes when I show him the latest & greatest item I've found and laughs at my excitement over them. Though a couple, or just one, he actually thinks is interesting.

When I saw this first one I thought - genius! What a great product! And look it comes with a little organizer that will fit perfectly in a cup holder and can hold your cell phone, change, pen or pencil and more! Oh the possibilities. And who wouldn't love to come back to a cool car after it's been sitting in the heat while you shop? I can't think of anyone either. All this for the low low price of $14.99?! Amazing! This is the one that gets the biggest eyeroll from hubby. I'm not sure if it's because he doesn't buy that it works or because it's so darn cheap or the little organizer that comes with it but he thinks it's ridiculous.

The next item I likely wouldn't purchase because boiling water & adding noodles and managing to not burn them isn't too hard for me. I'm not that challenged in the kitchen. But if you are, or know someone who is - there is help! Introducing the Pasta Pronta to save pasta meals everywhere! Have you seen this one? It's great for cooking all types of pasta, vegetables, mushrooms, shrimps, sausages, beens, eggs {?} and more! Simply add boiling water to Pasta Pronta, lock in perfect temperature with heat seal lid & cook. Drain out using built in strainer and your food will be ready in just minutes. And think of the dishes you don't have to clean. Plus you get your very own pasta counter for free along with the two Pronta sizes, neoprene heat grip pad & recipe book. All for the amazingly low price of $17.95! I'm wondering how this think cooks eggs so if anyone out there has one of these or buys one try it out & let me know k? Thanks. Oh and this is another eye roll from hubby.

Now there have been many infomercials that captured my attention over the years but I'm closing with this last one, my favorite & most recent find. Introducing the Tater Mitts! {Isn't that a cute name?} These magical gloves peel potatoes like no peeler or knife I've ever seen! Yes, peeling a potato is easy enough but washing it with magic gloves is even easier and you don't lose as much of the good stuff along with the peel. And you can't cut yourself with these funky spongy gloves. And you get a perfect fries maker for FREE! How awesome is that? Now this one my hubby actually thinks is pretty smart and is interested in how it works. Go ahead & click on the little advertisement for it, you can watch a video about how it works and how great it is and why aren't you calling already? It's only $19.95 plus s&h and did I mention the perfect fries maker? Go see now!

Actually you can find more about each of these items by clicking on the photos. You can always google {or yahoo search or ask jeeves or whatever search engine you happen to use} the phrase as seen on TV & find lots of sites where you can find more great infomercial products if you are so inclined. So, is it just me? Do any of you get roped into these infomercials, convinced that you have been missing out on something because you didn't have the tater mitts? I do exaggerate, a little, you can't buy happiness for any price let alone $9.99 with a free flashlight but I really am convinced that my life will be made easier or more comfortable if I had that product. Don't worry, I don't dream of infomercial goods or long for them throughout my day. But when the commercial comes on I'm sold. So I guess they did some research in marketing and either have a good product or are good at selling it, sometimes both.

11 comments:

tammi said...

Too funny! I like to watch infomercials too, but more because the usually give me a giggle. Those gloves are interesting though...

Christine - Tutorial Addict :) said...

"Idaho potatoes not included" ;-)

Christine - Tutorial Addict :) said...

Actually, ya know the one that ropes me in? Scrapbook time at QVC . . . that is TROUBLE girl. Now don't go checkin it out cause on the 14th they are having a VERY special guest . . . Heidi Swapp . . . yeah thats right and you and are are likely to spend any and all available monies on her awesome scrappy goodness - SO STAY AWAY!!!!! :-D

Mommy's Getaway said...

I actually have the pasta pronto - thought it would help when I had the fire in the kitchen and didn't have a stove. I found it at the Kitchen Store here and I have used it twice. Both times the pasta came out NASTY. What a waste of $15...LOL!

Biddy said...

hahahahaha i am SOOOO glad i'm not the only one that gets sucked into infomercials! i heart them...

just FYI, i saw the tater mitts LAST NIGHT! at Target! and they were only 14.99! Oh, and the little car airflow thingy? Wal-Mart Baby!

Anonymous said...

You almost made me wet my pants! I was looking for something at Walgreen's in Tulsa this week and found this whole AISLE devoted to things you see on TV and I really took a long hard look at the Tater Mitts (mostly because they were called TATER MITTS)...but I like my potatoes with the skin on so I passed them by.

I may get the pasta pronto for my BIL since he 'reheats' his pizza on the job site by sticking the old pizza box on the dash and parking in the sun (yeah, he's orginally from Oklahoma). He could be cooking gourmet pasta instead of leftover pizza....

Anonymous said...

Valley Girl - I'm glad I'm not the only one!

Chriss - Ha! & Thanks for the info, I mean warning. ;)

MG - I'll let hubby know he was right about that one, thanks for sharing!

Biddy - I'm not alone! Tater Mitts at Target you say? I'm leaving now.

Leendaluu - I was really hoping someone would wet their pants, but only almost. I can't believe you passed up the tater mitts. I like skin on my potatoes too but to not buy something called tater mitts just for the name? And I'm really curious about how well they work. Sounds like the pasta pronto is a step up for your brother in law.

Anonymous said...

I usually ALMOST get sucked into the infomercials that promise great weight loss, for only five payments of $39.99! I shouldn't spend the first $40, I surely shouldn't continue to toss good money after bad. So, I generally change the station instead of allow myself to be tempted.

Kimberly McKay said...

ME TOO! I actually bought something when I was 12 from an infomercial. It was that handy scrubby soap brush that attached to your hose, so you could clean upstairs windows from outside. I heard my mom complaining of having to clean those soon, and I thought I'd help her out by ordering something that would miraculously change her life! Needless to say, when it came and the delivery man asked for C.O.D....my mom sent it back and made me call the company to explain that I was only 12 and not allowed to call and order anything. I think they started adding 'must be 18 or over' on most of those infomercials b/c of kids just like me!

Anonymous said...

Yes! I have 'PICK ME' stamped on my forehead as well. I am a sucker for all of these adverts as well.

The Tater gloves have me intrigued..might have to go take a look lol

Now the air flow thingo ...I think i would be worried about someone being able to break into my car easier with it hooked over the window...but the little do-dad organizer does seem like a bonus!

I am not really into pasta but I can see how it could be helpful...are you sure you are onot on commision here LOL!

Rebecca said...

Mara - I can see how those could be tempting. Do infomercial makers think we can't do math? "4 easy payments of only 49.95", hello? that's 200 bucks + s&h.

wornoutwoman - I remember that scrubby brush! I didn't even get into all the cleaning products that look so fabulous except does my toilet ever look so bad as the ones they show? No. However, the travel steam cleaner thing would be great for pitstops on road trips.

Mad Goat Lady - We'll have to try to tater mitts together and exchange notes on them!

My Cleaning Music


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones