Saturday, August 11, 2007

Smart Habit Saturday {week 2 August}

It's Saturday? Already? Where did the week go? Where did the summer go? I can't believe fall is just around the corner. I love the fall season; cool days, brisk breeze, leaves changing color & falling to the ground. I'm curious what fall out here is going to be like. I'm sure the leaves still change color and fall to the ground but I have heard mixed opinions about the weather.

I've been working on my habits and doing pretty well this week. I didn't stick exactly to my schedule but did refer to it a few times this week. I really want to get this in place before hubby deploys. I need to keep my routine going and have something that feels 'normal' while he's away. Though I realized I will need new motivation. Wanting him to come home to a clean home and dinner being prepared is a large motivator for me so for now checking off this list will have to substitute. If you want to see exactly what I did this week you can look at my Joe's Goals chart. Here's the breakdown: Dishes at night, Quick pick up & Quick clean kitchen was a 7/7 {habit!}, Enjoying me time 6/7 {habit!}, Brushing teeth at night 4/7 {improvement}, Create and follow schedule & Organizing a small space 3/7 {needs work}, Call Mary Kay hot lines 4/4 {habit!}, Washing face at night 1/7 {lame! - need my product}, Dinner ready for hubby 3/5 {not bad for first week}.

I'm still noticing that I do better at taking care of the house than myself. Isn't this a trap that a lot of moms fall into? Often without realizing it. We put everyone & everything before ourselves. Most of the time it's necessary and may not seem like a big deal, I mean - that's part of our job right? Except that if we don't take care of ourselves we get burnt out and we can't take care of our families & homes as well. So my habit this week is to read at least 10 minutes a day. I used to love to read and then sometime after high school didn't as much, then I read when I had to and not as often because I wanted to. I've got a bookshelf full of books, many that I haven't read. I'm sure once I start I'll exceed the 10 minutes but I want to keep it small so I don't feel so overwhelmed and intimidated by it.

I hope you have had a SMART week and if you aren't a SMARTy pants yet, what are you waiting for? Check out the Lazy Organizer by clicking the picture at the top of this post to see how she & others have been SMART and join in on the SMARTness!



12 comments:

tammi said...

Congratulations on doing so well!! This exercise has made me realize that I'm great at list-making, but I really suck at actually DOING the jobs on the list! Having a routine is essential for me, too, but unfortunately, my current routine is the biggest BAD habit that I have. WAY too much time here in blogosphere, which doesn't leave much time for crossing off items on the ol' to-do list!

Christine - Tutorial Addict :) said...

Hey you SMARTy Pants! I love the habits you have "HABIT"ized! I totally copied the quick clean of the kitchen from you, now I just wish I could habit part down ;-) I think one of the hardest parts about being home is following your own schedule and having no one to answer to. I know you'll do a great job for hubs, even if he isn't there to see it. And don't forget, you'll have all of us SMARTy Pants to report to! We'll keep you on the right habit track! :-D

Sharon said...

Reading is a great habit! A perfect way to get some "me time." Good luck with this one! I need to copy your quick cleaning of the kitchen :)

Anonymous said...

I need to get back on a schedule and stick to it. Thanks for the encouragement!

Thea @ It's Me Vs. Me said...

Increasing my reading time is something I'm trying to do for myself, too! Great habit!

penguinsandladybugs said...

You are doing very well on your habits!! Keep it up! And I'm gonna have to check out the Blogabration link yo posted!!

Anonymous said...

It sounds like you're doing a great job! I'm trying to remember to do some of the small things for myself that I often neglect, too. It's important for us to take care of ourselves too!

Anonymous said...

your doing really well on your habits. I should add, making dinner for hubby, but he gets home so late that by the time the he does get home the food gets gross, and I don't want to eat that late with him.

Anonymous said...

Reading it a awesome habit. We have just started cutting back on TV and I've noticed that my reading has started to increase....as you mentioned it is good to read for fun and not just because you need to know something which is what I am guilty of often...........what books do you want to read.I wonder if we have some in common???

Anonymous said...

I'm planning to check out the blogabration link too! I love to scrapbook and getting free stuff is even better!

Thanks for stopping by my blog earlier! :)

Robin said...

So... what are you reading? Great habit. I want to get some recreational reading in too.

Have a great week!

Anonymous said...

awsome blog. i need to read more too and do some organizing around here..who has time?

My Cleaning Music


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones