Thursday, July 5, 2007

My Little Boy is 3

Happy Birthday Michael!! I still can't believe that I have a three year old, I don't feel old enough for that. I know, I know - just wait until they are 13 or 30 you say. And to that I say "What? I couldn't hear you with my hands over my ears, my eyes closed and talking very LOUDLY so I couldn't hear you." I know, I'm in denial and I'm okay with that for now.

So, three years ago today I was laboring to birth my firstborn into this world. My labor started around 1:45 in the morning and of course I had no clue. I was already 8 days past due and at that point thought I'd be attending my son's high school graduation with him still in utero. {there's a red line under that word telling me it's not a word but I know I've heard it and just can't find the correct spelling} I woke up feeling crampy so I took a warm shower and tried to rest. When I woke up again I found that I was spotting. Still thinking I'd be carrying this child in my womb to his wedding I freaked out. I called up the advice line that my provider had and explained my symptoms to the nurse on the other end. And with my dumb luck I get a male nurse. A man had to tell me that I was more than likely in labor and to start timing the contractions and take it easy. Did you catch that? A man had to tell me I was in labor. I felt so dumb.

By 10:30 we were at the hospital and I was already dilated to 4 (I think). I was quite pleasant in the earlier stages of labor, excusing myself from conversations with the hospital staff while I had a contraction, apologizing for the interruption. I'm not kidding. My mom was like "how is she my daughter?", it was funny. Until hard labor hit, then I was no longer smiling, laughing, apologizing or making conversation. I had back labor and I don't wish that on anyone. I couldn't get comfortable, the silly monitor strap around my large tummy kept falling off and I was hungry and all anyone would give me were ice chips. Ice chips? Shawn did pretty well throughout the whole thing, risking his life to see if rubbing my back would comfort each contraction when each contraction was different. His fatal mistake? Well, there were two. During one hard contraction he continued a conversation with his mother and caught a little more than the evil eye from me. During another contraction while trying to help me breath slowly he breathed on me, right after eating chocolate. Considering the crime he got off easy with only a washcloth being thrown at him the entire time. I don't remember telling him to never touch me again or any of that but I can't be sure.

After about 17 hours of labor, some drug to relax me & regulate the contractions in an iv {can't remember the name but it didn't take any of the pain away, only made me want to sleep}, my water being broken and getting an episiotomy {ouch!} my 7 lb 14 oz 20½ inch big headed boy was born. He was so precious. Well initially he was quite slimy and I was in shock but once they cleaned him up I couldn't take my eyes off of him. Daddy cut the umbilical cord and the grandparents made their rounds through to see the first grandchild. During labor our parents and grandparents took turns visiting but during the delivery I kicked everyone out, I just wanted it to be me & Shawn.

My pregnancy with Michael was enjoyable. I didn't have morning sickness and up until the last few weeks was pretty comfortable. The second trimester greeted me with some serious heartburn but with the proper medication that was even tolerable. I loved feeling him kick and move around and it was strange not to feel that once he was born. I am so happy being a mom, especially his mom. I know I'm partial but he's a special little guy and I love him so much. This photo is of Shawn & I before heading off to the hospital, see I was smiling. Update: I felt I should tell you that I did not remember all of these details on my own. I did refer to his baby book but that's what it's there for right? Right.

Updated: Per the request & reminder of Chriss here is a photo of the three of us post delivery. No, I was not hit by a mac truck - only look like it. And see, no scars on Shawn from the washcloth either. Michael was a little sweety. I <3>

6 comments:

Christine - Tutorial Addict :) said...

AWWWWW HAPPY BIRTHDAY MICHAEL! Hehe, it's funny to compare this birth to Lydia's, glad you didn't have anything to throw at me ;-) And WHERE are the pictures of him as a baby??? The before (you big ol preggie) and the after (you big ol preggie with a slimy but BEAUTIFUL baby)! I demand said picture! I love hearing the labor story, it really brings things full circle - or it would at least if there was A PICTURE!!!! :-D

Rebecca said...

Yes, I definitely had different experiences with the two of them. I think my being more prepared with Lydia made the biggest difference. And you are lucky that I didn't have anything to throw at you. I can see it - "take your fat milk!" {or whatever it was that I said} - splat! Right on the cheek with a washcloth. Actually, now that you mention it why didn't I have a washcloth handy? ;)

Shannon Nelson said...

My third son will be 3 on July 10th :) I just had my 4th son 7 weeks ago and I am relishing every moment of him being so little.

Is there a way to email you? I wanted to tell you about a contest I am having on my blog for moms to tell your readers (and hopefully pass onto other moms)

Thanks,
Shannon

Melanie Faith said...

Oh,I LOVE that pix of you three at the end of the post! Very nice! :) You all look so young--especially Mikey! lol

Christine - Tutorial Addict :) said...

YAY PICTURES! I love the ones post-delivery, Shawn looks so little! I love the one of you three buy the roses, so cute. And look at Michael's little bird legs! :-D

Rebecca said...

Ah yes, we were all a little younger 3 years ago. Maybe that's part of the sadness of our kids getting older? The reminder that we are also.

My Cleaning Music


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones