Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Works For Me Wednesday - Diaper Rash

As promised an old wives' tale home remedy - {from my mother in law who learned it from her mother} - that actually works!

Lydia has had a bad rash for a while now. The doctor prescribed her some cream and it would seem to help for a little while and then the rash would come back with full force. I felt bad for her and was frustrated with the cream & the rash. When my mother in law saw my poor baby's red irritated bottom she asked if I had any cornstarch. *A quick note to those of you who may not know me so well - I'm not a great cook, I don't venture too far outside my 5-8 meals that I feel comfortable cooking {read: I'm not afraid that I'll totally screw it up}. It's okay to feel sorry for my hubby - I do.* So anyway, she asks if I have cornstarch and I look at her blankly {because I have no idea what I would use it for if I did} and say, um...no. So the next time we went to the store we got some cornstarch and she put some in an empty garlic salt shaker - which worked well because of the large holes. I was instructed to put some cornstarch on the rash {with or without the cream} each time I changed her diaper. And do you know what happened? The next day, after about 4 diaper changes, she was noticeably less red and irritated. It really worked. I've got to admit I was a little surprised because why would cornstarch which cost only a couple $$ work so well when this pricey cream hadn't. I'd show you before & after pictures normally but it's my baby's booty so you'll just have to take my word for it.

For more great WFMW tips, ideas & stories check out Rocks In My Dryer and if you have something - anything - that works for you join in and share with the rest of us!

8 comments:

Christine - Tutorial Addict :) said...

YAY LYDIA! YAY MIL! I am so excited to read this A) because my poor lil baby has a recurrent rash and B) I HAVE CORNSTARCH! w00t! Oh, and just incase you wanted to know, cornstarch is great for thickening sauces! Way better than flour or waiting for it to cook down - so there ya go!

Mommy's Getaway said...

I have heard that cornstarch is great to use. I was told a different one by a pharmacist - she told me to use a liquid antacid and Aquaphor, mixed together on a one to one basis. (I have the instructions on my blog under Miracle Butt Cream) but I imagine that the cornstarch is cheaper, but I don't know if it will be less messy. My kids like to grab and throw...LOL!

madridmom said...

I found this out when my firstborn was a baby. Cornstarch is great! I took a plastic salt shaker (the kind you might take on a picnic that has a lid that snaps on tight) and filled it with cornstarch and kept it in my diaper bag for those changes away from home.

Amy said...

For really stubborn rashes, sometimes I'll alternate between Hydrocortisone Cream (1%) and Lotrimin (yes, the stuff for athlete's foot, the regular strength). So, I'll do the hydrocortisone for diaper #1, and the lotrimin for diaper #2, and the hydrocortisone for diaper #3, etc.

The hydrocortisone soothes the itch, and the lotrimin kills the yeast that sometimes causes really bad diaper rash. Check with your pediatrician, of course, but then try this if the cornstarch doesn't work.

Amy
http://prettybabies.blogspot.com

Kimberly McKay said...

Okay here's a good solution for DESITIN diaper rash cream....it works great for mosquito or bug bites.

TRY IT....you'll be amazed!!!

Bethany said...

Rebecca, that is one remedy I can personally say works wonders! I have used it many times and it does the trick every time.

tammi said...

I can also recommend plain yogurt! And yes, as a diaper rash remedy!! (I would never recommend it for eating -- blegch!)

*carrie* said...

Rebecca,

I'm going to remember this. Looks like my son is almost the same age as Lydia?! He was born 12/20.

Thanks for visiting my blog!

My Cleaning Music


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones