
About a week after I posted about Going Green I opened up my recent order from Mary Kay and was surprised to see peanut packaging. They used to package orders with plastic filled with air - it looked like several bags connected together but they weren't bags, like a plastic air filled sausage. Anyway, as I found my products in the sea of peanut packaging I found this note at the bottom of the box. I loved the heading of their note so much that I copied it for this post. Isn't that cute 'pink' - just about everything Mary Kay is or has pink or black on it - doing 'green'...I thought it was catchy. Anyway, now I have one more thing to boast about in the business I run. I've read some environmental focused blogs talking about 'green' being a trend or something that businesses are doing just to market to more customers. This may very well be true. But I figure trend or not it's still a good thing.
Oh and to update on my last green post - I still love my canvas bags. I would love them even more if I could remember to pop the trunk BEFORE going into the store more often {new habits take time to develop}. Leendaluu suggested doing a canvas bag exchange - it would be fun to swap bags, Christine was inspired to get her own - have you? - and Ter said that some stores offer bins for recycling plastic bags. I'm going to have to see if my stores do because I have WAY more plastic bags then I think I could ever reuse. Here's what Mel had to say about plastic bags, I didn't know about all this before I bought my totes.
"Yes, I agree. I like to use the re-usable bags as well (or my hands /pockets/purse if I only buy a thing or two). It takes approx. 1,000 years for plastic to degrade--and it's only been around since the 1950's or so as a substitute for cutting down trees for paper bags... so where does all that plastic go? Scary to see that it ends up in our oceans, tons and tons circling and whirling around in massive gyres waiting for their appointed year to be no more. There is, fortunately, research taking place as we "speak" in the creation of plastic bags with a century-shelf life. A much better proposition than 1,000. So, even things like Tupperware and other plastic containers may soon be very more accommodating for the masses."
So are any of you going green or getting greener? Thanks for stopping by!
Oh and to update on my last green post - I still love my canvas bags. I would love them even more if I could remember to pop the trunk BEFORE going into the store more often {new habits take time to develop}. Leendaluu suggested doing a canvas bag exchange - it would be fun to swap bags, Christine was inspired to get her own - have you? - and Ter said that some stores offer bins for recycling plastic bags. I'm going to have to see if my stores do because I have WAY more plastic bags then I think I could ever reuse. Here's what Mel had to say about plastic bags, I didn't know about all this before I bought my totes.
"Yes, I agree. I like to use the re-usable bags as well (or my hands /pockets/purse if I only buy a thing or two). It takes approx. 1,000 years for plastic to degrade--and it's only been around since the 1950's or so as a substitute for cutting down trees for paper bags... so where does all that plastic go? Scary to see that it ends up in our oceans, tons and tons circling and whirling around in massive gyres waiting for their appointed year to be no more. There is, fortunately, research taking place as we "speak" in the creation of plastic bags with a century-shelf life. A much better proposition than 1,000. So, even things like Tupperware and other plastic containers may soon be very more accommodating for the masses."
So are any of you going green or getting greener? Thanks for stopping by!



5 comments:
"Pink doing Green" <---- SUPER CUTE & catchy! That's exciting that MK has ventured into the eco-friendly businessing. And I say, like you, who cares WHY?! Aren't ALL businesses in it to make money? Isn't that the POINT? So good for them! And the earth! YAY MARY KAY!
That's cute!
Every little bit helps, right?
We forgot to use our canvas bags for our last grocery trip, too. Oops!
I like the pink going green slogan. Good for them. I think anything we can do to recycle, re-use, and conserve is always a wonderful lesson to pass on to our children. We need to get past this fast food society and get back to the WW2 mentality of saving and reusing. My grandparents had a use for everything, and you know what else they saved on? THEIR pocket books!
yea I should totally go green, but I to know I would never use the bags. Thanks fo r stopping by my blog.
We're working on going more green. I'm really trying to get use to putting my homecrafted shopping bags in the vehicle. Like you said, old habits die hard. At least I can usually get paper bags instead of plastic at the grocery store when I forget.
That's cool that they're going green, but I really dislike packing peanuts. lol! They end up all over my house. ;)
Post a Comment