I was really hoping. But when I watched the show tonight I did as poorly as the poor guy who was out - after the first question - the 1st grade social studies question people. For those of you who may not have seen the show this is how it works. A random person who has auditioned for the show tries to win 1 million dollars by answering 10 questions, 2 for each grade {1-5}, in a variety of subjects. There are 'class' members - actual 5th graders who can help you out a maximum of three times. As you progress you 'bank' money so most people win something - I think, I haven't watched it very often. If you still don't understand or want more information you can Google it. {btw: did you know that the word 'google' was put into the dictionary this year? It's a verb, as in to look up information on the internet. I found out from my future bil that the word 'google' is also a math term. So now you've learned two new things & you're barely into this post - wow!} The guy's first question had to do with a patriotic song, they gave a line or two & he had to guess the title. I was stumped, I could hear the song but got stuck & had no clue as to the title. Well, neither did he and he was out. I guess his wife was razzing him about not knowing it so the host, Jeff Foxworthy, challenged her to try it out herself. She ended up with $175,000. Yes, for answering 8 questions correctly she walked away with $175,000. Granted, I knew the answers to her questions. Except for the last one that she stopped at - if you are curious there are 4 pecks in a bushel - I didn't know that. {We're all learning stuff tonight.} One of her questions seemed like a real no brainer to me & she was pausing to think about it. The question asked what kind of scale is used to measure an earthquake. I knew the answer without seeing the options, she did choose the correct answer but I was puzzled about her delay. If I was her I'd have been busting at the seems to not blurt out the answer as soon as he was finished reading it. My first thought was, well maybe they tell her to take a little time on some to make for better TV or something. Then it hit me. Not everyone lived in California where hearing on the news or reading in the paper about the earthquake that was 3.5 on the rictor scale. Then I remembered {again} that I'm not in California either. Yes, I have been here in Kentucky/Tennessee for almost 3 months now & sometimes still forget, don't worry the humidity is a quick reminder. I suppose that is the difference between people who grow up in one area vs those who live in many areas. Being in one region for the first 20 something years of your life you can start to assume that everyone else has had the same experiences, seen the same stuff, knows the same basic information. I don' t know if this is making sense to anyone. Just something I started thinking about. I'm glad that I've had this opportunity to move to a new area. I think I'm learning more about myself being out here than I did while in my comfort zone. Thanks for visiting.



4 comments:
Hehe - ya know, when I first saw the title to that show I thought "No, no I am not." There wasn't much to think about there. I have finally reached that point that most moms reach (except teachers i suppose) where you can no longer help your kid with their homework - she is a 4th grader. I can help with most, but then there are these other questions she comes up with and I'm like "sigh...sorry honey I have NO idea" - THAT SUCKS. Cause then you reach the point when your kid thinks I KNOW MORE THAN MY MOM, and that is just dangerous ;-) Thanks for teaching me a few things this morning though, if she comes up and is all like 'ugh, i know more than you and i'ma 4th grader' I can be all like 'oh YEAH, well how many pecks are in a bushel? And what's the definition of google?! - HEHE GOTCHA THERE MISSY! oh BURN!' - j/k, I don't really do that ;-)
We were watching the show too and I was surprised at how much we couldn't get. Then one of my kids had a theory - that the information was "fresh" in those 5th graders minds. As we get older, it is lost in our long-term memory. For the kids, it is still in their short-term memory banks and easier to access. I don't know if this theory holds any water but I liked the way it made me feel better!
Here's to varied experiences!
When you are the mother of twins and the mother of two teenagers, you are reminded daily that you are, not really smarter than a rock. But often you are more lovable and that is your saving grace.
We had a little competition set up with that show. Hubby and nephew against me and SIL. I just don't remember a lot of the stuff from WAY back then, so I know I knew it once, it sounds totally familiar, but can I have MULTIPLE CHOICE please? And of course, the one they gave multiple choice to, I totally knew already! But I know what ya mean about the richter scale question - my nephew had no clue and that's probably cuz he's not from Cali, or any other place where earthquakes tend to shake things up. :)
BTW: Hubby and nephew totally won! (Nephew was a sixth grader this year)
Post a Comment