
Wow! I made it to week 4. When I started this I really wasn't sure how long it would last or if I would keep up with it. I'm a procrastinator and tend to let things fall to the wayside, yes I'm lazy. And I was intimidated to start because I didn't want to not finish. But I did and I'm so glad. I can see the affects/effects {can never remember the correct way to use either word} that my new habits that I've developed &/or in process of developing have made in my life. When I follow through with them at least, and not following through with them is a huge reminder of how good they are. ie: waking up to a clean kitchen & living room vs. waking up to rooms that look tornado struck/stricken? {wow, I need a brush up on my vocabulary & grammar skills. Anyway, so yeah SMART habits rock my world. This week was okay for me. I had a really poor Thursday, not doing a single thing on my list. I had an emotional day and it shows. Overall I think I did well but can see where I still need to work on things. After seeing this Joe's Goals thing on another smart habit site {I'm sorry, I can't remember which one right now} I got my own widget for my blog. I
love how much easier it has made it for me to remember my habits & track my progress. I
love lists &
love checking things off of my lists. I haven't been able to figure out how to put my tracking sheet directly into this post so if you are interested you can click on the widget to the left. I'll still list my habits & progress below.
- Clearing dishes at night - habit!
- Brushing teeth at night - good progress
- Quick pick up - habit!
- Washing face at night - failing
- Quick clean kitchen at night - habit!
- Organize a small space - needs work
As I was writing out this list I realize that the habits I do best at are the ones focused on taking care of my house. My weaker habits are the ones that focus on taking care of myself. Hmm...that seems a little out of balance. I think that as moms we tend to put ourselves on the back burner, bottom of the list, last priority, let ourselves go. However you want to word it, it happens. Has anyone seen that Dove products commercial? If not I'll quickly describe. It starts off with a young woman who is 'well groomed', she gets married, has a baby - isn't quite so groomed -, baby gets older, she has another baby - even less groomed - then she gets all 'cleaned up' & she's pregnant again. The commercial says that 99% of women lose themselves & 100% can get themselves back {using their products}. I laughed when I saw this, because it is so true & because as soon as she's all 'pretty' again - she's pregnant. Kinda made me want to stay a little shabby. :P But the message of the commercial rings true, we do lose ourselves & we can get ourselves back. Though I think it has less to do with what products you are using and more about a change in mindset. We need to take care of ourselves, 1) no one else is gonna do it & 2) if our basic needs are being met then we'll be better for everyone else. I was thinking that this week I wouldn't add any new goals so I could focus better on the rest of mine. But now I think I will add two. {I love a challenge!}
- Drink water more often. Those of you who already know me may be thinking - huh? Yes, about the only thing I do drink is water however I don't drink nearly enough throughout the day and by the time I poor myself a glass my mouth is dry because I'm so thirsty. So I need to drink it more consistently throughout the day.
- Enjoy my time. Most days when both kids are napping I do housework, I also do housework while they are up. Rather than spending all of my 'free time' cleaning I'd rather do something that I enjoy. Some things are scrapbooking, blogging, browsing blogs, & organizing my stuff. I know that last one seems like a funny thing to be on the list but my stuff is always done last & I really do enjoy organizing.
If you would like to join in on this great opportunity of start new habits or see other bloggers getting SMART check out
The Lazy Organizer. Thanks for visiting!
3 comments:
What you said about putting ourselves on the back burner is true. It's important for us to remember to refuel/recharge ourselves so we are better able to care for our families.
Good luck with your goals this week!
I, too, find it much easier to take care of the house and the kids than taking care of myself. What a very interesting insight.
Good luck with all your goals this week. At least we are making good progress :) !! Baby steps, right?
As a mom, you're right, it's so hard to remember to do something for ourselves when we have children running around. Husbands too. ;)
I hope you can find some time for yourself! Good luck this week!
Post a Comment