Tuesday, May 22, 2007

My Take on Romance


Thanks to everyone wishing us a happy anniversary yesterday. Things didn't turn out like we were hoping but it was still a good day. Hubby hasn't been feeling well or getting much sleep lately so I let him sleep in without nagging him about it {it was his day off afterall}. So yeah, we couldn't get a babysitter so we didn't leave the house. Instead Shawn made a late dinner that we enjoyed after the kids went to bed and found a movie to watch before turning in ourselves. I did have fun putting on my wedding dress {yep, still fits} and wearing my tiara throughout the day. I forgot how pretty my dress was, so did he - it was fun. Next year he will be deployed so we'll make up for it on our fourth anniversary. We are going to make sure we get at least a few dates out before he leaves too. I think when you've been with someone for so long (married only 2 but together 6) and you have little kids it's easy to let that stuff slide. Schedules, daily routine and just getting into a rutt get in the way of romance, couple time & focus on the marriage. Keeping the 'romance alive' takes effort for sure. It doesn't just happen. I know I'm not very proactive in that area. And let me say this, especially for any male readers out there. Romance doesn't have to mean candlelit dinners, long strolls on the beach, flowers, candy, gifts of jewelry {though I wouldn't complain}, sappy movies, poems or songs written of your love and devotion, basically anything that some men roll their eyes over. I think romance is more about showing your love through actions. It can start just by spending time together having a conversation that doesn't revolve around the bills, to do lists or the kids. A thoughtful gesture can be picking up her favorite ice-cream {or any treat} on the way home from work - just because. Arranging for a sitter so you can sneak away for a mini date to the local coffee shop {or wherever}. And if you're at home turn off the TV and play a game of cards, dice or scrabble together {activity of your preference}. Let me also be clear that I think this works both ways. It is not the sole responsibility of the husband to be romantic nor the sole benefit of the wife to be pampered. Doing something special once in a while is great but it's the consistent acts of kindness that I think help keep the love alive. I think it's also important to say that regardless of where a relationship is in this area, it's never too late {or early} to make changes.

*Disclaimer:
  • I do not claim to be an expert in the area of romance, marriage or any relationship.
  • I do not claim to have a perfect marriage.
  • I do not claim to always follow my own advice - preachin' to myself here too.
  • I do not claim that my ideas work for all marriages & do not guarantee positive results.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Rebecca, I totally agree on your idea of romance - I wish men understood how easy it really is to romantically please us.It's not about the money/ gifts.It's just about showing love in everyday activities, just caring and paying attention to us.
Anyway, Happy anniversary for the other day. You are a beautiful couple and I pray that God Blesses your marriage and family for years to come.
We also just celebrated our anniversary in April, it's amazing how anniversaries bring you back to your wedding day and make you fall in love all over again :)
We only got to go on our anniversary date a week later, as I was ill...but it was most emjoyable.

Kimberly McKay said...

Great post. Happy late Anniversary by the way. I always love the pictures you post. You and your family are so adorable!

PS....you're right on with the romantic advice.

Kimberly McKay said...

Hey just linked to your blog and site....I took your blog into the naughty realm....and talked about how to keep your sex life alive.

Christine - Tutorial Addict :) said...

I LOVE that picture of your dress! I am almost tempted to go dig mine out of the closet too! HEY - that sounds like a blog challenge if I EVER heard it! Everyone go dig out your wedding dress and take a picture of it! On you, off you, a small tiny little abstract portion of it ;-) whatever! Or find a pic of your wedding/dress and post about it! w00t!

Sherry said...

Hiya Chica! I haven't posted a comment in a while, just been a little busy, but I love these posts about love and marriage! Your pictures are beautiful - I don't think I've seen them before. I'm so glad life is going well for your family out there and that you're able to pull together for love and support. I don't think hubby and I have really celebrated our anniversary much in the past few years, and it's a darn shame! I think we could all use a little romance, and anniversary day is definitely a big excuse for some(!), but even just a nice dinner and movie (or game) at home would be relaxing... but that's if - and I mean a big IF - we could stay awake long enough to enjoy it! ;) Sometimes it's the little things that count the most, though, I agree.

Happy (belated) Anniversary!

hrpeters said...

Rebecca, what a wonderful post! I completely agree about your perspective on romance. It's the little things that indicate where love is not the grandiose. Happy anniversary, dear heart!

My Cleaning Music


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones