Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Marriage Meme


Yep, that's right. I've been tagged - again. This time is a little different though. My friend Chriss who many of you in blogworld know her as Christine, but I've known her so long she's lucky I'm not still calling her Chrissy (even though her kids, mom & sometimes she even calls me Becky), created & started this meme. She brought up a good point in her post about it - what is a meme. I understand the concept of a meme; answering the question(s) that is asked and passing it along to other bloggers to answer and pass on. But why is this pass along q&a called a meme, what does 'meme' mean or stand for? If anyone knows, would you be so kind as to satisfy my curiosity and share the answer with us all? I'd appreciate it. I'm glad that she started this meme. And not just because I haven't posted in three days, though it helps. We haven't had much going on worth blogging about. Just the usual attempts at housework. Saturday was a very lazy day. Sunday we got some things accomplished. I now have pictures hanging up on the walls downstairs and in the bathroom. I also have a better idea at how I would like things to be eventually and got some more laundry done. Though there are still two loads sitting on my couch waiting to be folded & put away from yesterday. *And no I don't fluff my laundry - I'm not even sure how I would do that if I so desired. If you know about laundry fluffing please don't tell me, I don't want to know. Ignorance really is bliss sometimes.* Now that you know the gist of my weekend & Monday on to the meme. Oh, almost forgot. The picture above is of Shawn mowing our backyard. I realize that this is probably a weekly or bi-monthly occurrence for most people and it's no big deal - Shawn even raised his eyebrow at the notion of me taking his photo. But this is our first backyard and it was the first time he had mowed it. (Yes we've been here almost a month but they mowed it for us two weeks ago). So I don't know about Kentucky 'bluegrass' but the green stuff sure does grow fast. We still need to get our own lawnmower but a neighbor was nice enough to let us borrow one. That or he was tired of our jungle decreasing the property value. Either way, it's mowed now. Now onto the meme - after the photos.


Just 5 Things I Love About My Hubby{In no particular order}

  • He makes me laugh. He has always made me laugh, even & especially when I don't feel like it. He tells jokes, talks in silly voices/accents, tickles me - whatever it takes to see me smile.
  • He is a fantastic father. He loves his kids so much and shows it. The first thing he does when he comes home is give the kids {& me} hugs and kisses and starts rough housing with Michael, tossing him around and playing with him. Lydia's not quite at the tossing around phase but he holds her & gets her to smile & laugh.
  • He is a provider. He works hard to take care of his family. When he signed up to join the military I was never more proud {& a little scared} of the sacrifice that he was making. He works long days, odd days sometimes and was willing to spend a large amount of time away from his family to provide us with financial security & health benefits.
  • He is a great lover. No, not just in that way. He makes an effort to be affectionate towards me. When I'm cooking dinner or doing the dishes he will come over to give me a hug and kiss my neck. He gives me kisses & hugs throughout the day and always tells me that he loves me. He also does a very good job at acknowledging what I do and tells me that he appreciates me.
  • He is my other half. We have similarities and that's all good but we also are opposite in some ways and that's even better. Where I'm more of an introvert he is definitely more outgoing, I'm a planner and he's spontaneous, etc. We compliment each other well.
Just 5 Wifey Goals {In no particular order}
  • Get a grip on my emotions. I can't blame PMS for this one right now {still no 'Aunt Flow' visiting} but I guess I could blame nursing hormones or still recovering from growing & birthing a child hormones. I'd rather take control of my emotions, or the way that I deal with said emotions and how I respond to things. My poor husband. He really is a strong man to deal with some of the stuff I throw at him {figuratively speaking}.
  • Take care of myself. I know he likes coming home to a wife that doesn't smell like dirty diapers, breast milk, sweat & cleaning supplies. I also know that he doesn't get that too often. Most days I am well, frumpy and I'd like to change that. I don't see myself all done up everyday - just not gonna happen - but I would like to be at least showered & in fresh clothes 3-4 evenings out of the week and my hair and make up done at least 1-2 evenings a week. I'm not including the weekends, I'm usually good about the weekends.
  • Have dinner ready when he gets home at least 2 nights a week. Lately he comes home to me trying to finish {or start} dinner and the kids are fussy and it's chaotic. He steps in to help out either with the kids or dinner and I really appreciate it but it would be nice for him to come home and it just be taken care of already.
  • Take care of his needs. {Get your mind outta the gutter!} ; ) I think I spend a lot of time thinking of all I do and what I deserve and what I need and what I want. I need to remember all that he does and think about {or ask him} what he needs and wants and do my best to make it happen for him.
  • Continue to keep the vows that I made to him almost two years ago. I vowed until death do us part for better or worse in sickness and health for richer or poorer. And that's what I intend on doing, but not griping & dragging my feet the whole time. I want a successful marriage, I want us to be happy when we celebrate our 50th anniversary - not planning separate vacations. So I'm willing to do whatever necessary to have a happy marriage, be it counseling, planning dates out together, etc.
Now I will pass this meme along to:

10 comments:

Christine - Tutorial Addict :) said...

NICE! Now you made me think of stuff I should have added to my list! Doh! As far as the MEME thing goes you let me know when you find out...Mother's Eblogging More Everyday? A stretch, I know.

I am so glad you guys are on each other's team and support each other. It's nice when you know you have that other person who is ALWAYS on your side, no matter WHAT!

And thanks for the 'Chrissy' ref! ;-P

Kimberly McKay said...

Okay my friend...I will take this on in a little while. Ive got to get some work done, and then I'll have more time to sit and type!

Bethany said...

Thanks for tagging me :) I'll try to get mine posted soon! :)

By the way, I love your blog! And your relationship with your husband sounds so very similar to mine. (except the military part). : )

hrpeters said...

Great blog, Rebecca. I have only one question...is there any reason that Shawn has a boot on one foot and a tennis shoe on the other? Is this a new fashion statement?

Anonymous said...

Thanks for tagging me, funny this morning I was just thinking of 5 things I despise about my hubby :P-thanks for turning my mind around :)I'll post that soon!
Heres the definition of a meme as found on wikipedia.com:

The term "meme" (IPA: /miːm/, rhyming with "may may"; commonly pronounced in the US as /m&m/, rhyming with "lay lay"), coined/popularized in 1976[1] by the biologist Richard Dawkins, refers to a "unit of cultural information" which can propagate from one mind to another in a manner analogous to genes (i.e., the units of genetic information).

Dawkins gave as examples of memes: tunes, catch-phrases, beliefs, clothes fashions, ways of making pots, or of building arches. A meme, he said, propagates itself as a unit of cultural evolution and diffusion — analogous in many ways to the behavior of the gene. Often memes propagate as more-or-less integrated cooperative sets or groups, referred to as memeplexes or meme-complexes.

The idea of memes has proved a successful meme in its own right, gaining a degree of penetration into popular culture which relatively few modern scientific theories achieve.

Proponents of memes suggest that memes evolve via natural selection — in a way very similar to Charles Darwin's ideas concerning biological evolution — on the premise that variation, mutation, competition, and "inheritance" influence their replicative success. For example, while one idea may become extinct, other ideas will survive, spread, and mutate — for better or for worse — through modification.

consider yourself informed :P

Rebecca said...

Helen: {seems odd to refer to you as that and not your true name} I totally forgot to explain the 'boot'. That must seem really strange. It's not a widespread fashion statement but it is Shawn's current trend. The 'boot' is actually a walking 'cast' for his broken foot. He has to wear it whenever he's not in the house and we were leaving right after he mowed so he had it on.

Samantha: I was feeling about the same when I was tagged, glad it has helped your mood change. ;) And thank you for the great explanation of a meme (in my head it still sounds like meemee, but I'll work on it). I wish I had some great prize to give you but I don't. Sorry.

I'll be checking out everyone else's meme responses on your blogs.

Bethany said...

I posted mine today, Rebecca! :)

Melanie Faith said...

This is a great meme topic generated by someone mighty clever... ;) Has Shawn read it?

mrmarkdewolf said...

Hey, Very cool blog! You certainly sound like you have a great family that you have built, that is awesome.

You stopped by blog last week totalcomputerrepair[dot]com so I just wanted to stop by and show some love back at ya :)

Really cute kids too! Oh and by the way maybe you should check out my new forum, I think it has real potential to help a lot of parents out there in our ever changing world. That site is parentalcommunity[dot]com

{I didn't use real links because I don't want you thinking I'm using "whoring" your comments to get backlinks for myself}

But yea stop by my parentalcommunity forum and drop a few links to your blog. I'm sure probably could contribute alot to the forum and maybe even make a few friends who are parents also.

Well sorry for typing so much :)

Travis

hrpeters said...

When did Shawn break his foot? I'm sorry I made light of it when this is serious.

My Cleaning Music


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones